Monday, January 09, 2006

My Morning Routine

GEORGE

Ever since I can remember, in the morning I 'd wait on the edge of the bathroom sink for Dad while he took his shower. Sometimes I'd talk with Mom while I waited. Then after Dad got dressed, I'd jump onto his shoulder and we'd walk to the kitchen where we'd discuss the day ahead. I would usually manage to get at least 10 minutes of time alone with Dad and would protest loudly if I didn't. Dad & I both enjoyed this time together.

Well, since Dad broke his leg, he can't use his walker and carry me at the same time. This is a major upset in my routine and an inconvenience for me, since if I can't be held, I have to follow him down the hallway into the kitchen myself and I voice my displeasure at this all the way into the kitchen. If he uses his chair on wheels, then I can get a lap holding, but I really prefer shoulder holdings in the morning. Some days I've had to rely on Mom for a quick holding, which she doesn't mind, but this past week I finally figured out how to get more time with Dad.

I simply sit on his special bath seat and wait. Then after he's bathed, I can have some shoulder time right on the seat with him and don't have to wait until the kitchen! This works out for both of us and as an extra bonus, I can get some lap time in the kitchen. Here are some pictures of us.

Mom says I'm a "Daddy's Boy". I don't think that's a derogatory term, do you?

13 Comments:

At January 09, 2006 8:38 AM, Blogger Kukka-Maria said...

When my "Love Tank" is running on fumes, I'm very vocal, too. Love and cuddles are my fuel.

I'm glad to see you've found a flexible solution to your time deficit with Dad.

 
At January 09, 2006 9:10 AM, Blogger Magoo, Smudge, Bella & Dolce said...

Being a "Daddy's Boy" is a good thing. My dad and I like to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon asleep together on the couch. I like my mom well enough, but like you, I really need the male bonding time I spend with my dad.

Smudge

 
At January 09, 2006 1:19 PM, Blogger Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Very swell picture! You have furry big feet........

 
At January 09, 2006 1:20 PM, Blogger Musette said...

My brother Zephyr always hangs out on the bathmat each morning when our Can Opener showers. Just patiently waiting for the pats than come when the door opens. No shoulder-riding though. Zephyr's too clumsy for that.

Just had to tell you that I've often thought about your moving story about Gracie since I first read it a week ago.

 
At January 09, 2006 2:43 PM, Blogger Myst and Blackie said...

we don't have a Dad... looks like we are missing out.

 
At January 09, 2006 6:52 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

I am not much on being carried. But having time with the dad is alway good. Hope his leg gets better soon.

You look very happy being on his shoulder.

 
At January 09, 2006 9:06 PM, Blogger Timmy said...

Momma maked a bunch of ooos and aahs over that picture. I think it am real nice too! You loves your Daddy and there's nothin' wrong with being called a daddy's boy. I'm a Momma's boy, and purrrroud of it!!

 
At January 09, 2006 9:16 PM, Blogger Victor Tabbycat said...

I'm a daddy's girl, but that's a secret. My man's the only one I let carry me. I can't stay in the bathroom with him, but we have special bellyrub time almost every day and I'd be sad to miss that. I'm glad your dad found a way to correct the situation.

 
At January 10, 2006 6:51 AM, Blogger Mathias42 said...

My people dont like me being in the bathroom wiht them. I wonder why?

 
At January 10, 2006 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully your Dad's leg will heal quickly so you can get back to your old routine. But at least you found a compromise.

 
At January 10, 2006 8:24 PM, Blogger Ivan from WMD said...

Mom says I'm a momma's boy!

 
At January 10, 2006 9:38 PM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

Sounds like you're getting some time seeing a naked human too. Hope that's not too scary.

You're giving your dad a great hug. It's clearly obvious why he likes you so much and considers you his.

 
At January 10, 2006 9:40 PM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

By the way, tell your dad I hope the leg gets better soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails