Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Saga of Last Night

GEORGE

A rare thing happened at our house last night. We ALL got to be in the bedroom with Mom!!! Usually she doesn't let us in because she says we keep her awake. First I'm going to tell you our version, then Mom will tell her version.

For some reason, Mom got up in the night. Then she went into the guest room, so we all followed her and jumped onto the bed. It's a really comfy bed, and we all chose our places carefully, kneading them making the spot just right, turned around a few times, stretched, yawned, then settled in for the night. We were all sleeping just fine, when suddenly Mom started kicking and shouting that we should move! I said "There's no need to shout, Mom. If you need more room, just ask. We'll be happy to move over a little". We went back to sleep and awoke about 4:30AM, refreshed and ready to start our day.

MOM

I have fibromyalgia and a herniated disc with arthritis of the spine. Those afflictions, plus menopause, cause me terrible insomnia and last night was really bad. I got up to take a prescription pain killer and went into the guest room rather than our bedroom with the thought of not bothering my husband. All 4 cats came with me! I was so tired I didn't feel like finding them all and chasing them out one by one, so I thought, OK, let's see how this works!

I had George & Max wedged against my right side and Tipper & Misty wedged against my left side. I think that's about 60 lb. of dead weight and I was literally pinned down! I couldn't move at all. I needed to try to find a comfortable position (nearly impossible, believe me!) so I said "Georgie, could you move a little" and tried nudging him over. No response at all. "Maxie, if you would just...". Nothing. "Tipp...", "Mist....". Everyone was asleep but ME, and two of them were actually snoring!

After several minutes I gave up and shouted "OK, everybody move!!" while kicking my feet under the covers. George got up, looked at me like 'what's the problem?' stretched and went right back to sleep and I was awake the rest of the night. I knew I shouldn't have let them in the bedroom!

You're probably thinking, well why didn't you just kick them out? Have you ever tried locating 4 cats, one by one and putting them in the hallway? You grab one, open the door and out they go. Then grab another, open the door while trying to keep the first one out...and on it goes. If you're lucky enough to get all of them out of the room, then they sit outside the door crying the rest of the night! The things we put up with for our cats!!!

Oh yes, the pain pill finally kicked in about the time I normally get up!

MISTY

Tipp, what's money paws?

TIPPER

I don't know, but if it keeps us awake, we don't want it.

16 Comments:

At December 14, 2006 9:33 AM, Blogger Kukka-Maria said...

I pin my Agent to the bed every night. I'll post myself between her knees when she sleeps on her stomach, making it virtually impossible for her to turn over as she wishes.

Sucker.

While Brach never sleeps in there, she has learned there is no keeping me out of the bedroom (unless she likes me whining, throwing myself against the bedroom door and plucking at the carpet with my claws).

It's good to be the queen!

 
At December 14, 2006 1:32 PM, Blogger LZ said...

I'm sorry your mom has those painful disorders, that must not be fun for her at all. Our grandma has the first two things your mom has.

Meowmy says that she understands not wanting to hunt down 4 kitties because we do all skatter when she wants us to leave. Then her adrenalin gets going and she can't sleep.

I like to sleep on her feet. That annoys her a lot.

Latte

 
At December 14, 2006 1:34 PM, Blogger LZ said...

I'm sorry your mom has those painful disorders, that must not be fun for her at all. Our grandma has the first two things your mom has.

Meowmy says that she understands not wanting to hunt down 4 kitties because we do all skatter when she wants us to leave. Then her adrenalin gets going and she can't sleep.

I like to sleep on her feet. That annoys her a lot.

Latte

 
At December 14, 2006 2:53 PM, Blogger ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Owwwweeee....

Momma has da same problems wif us. There are five of us and efurry mornin all five of us R waitin fur her at the night time door. We's all rush in CUZ we is hungry. So she has to rush us all out but it isn't too hard cuz we is ALL hungry.

Momma only let's Boo sleeps in the dark room. Boo has been sleepin in der since she came, so Momma feels it is her room too. O'course I don't like it, and I am jealous of Boo. Momma wants me in der wif her but I would fuss at Boo all night so I don't get to stay in der. O'course I came much later dan Boo. Momma feels bad but it's the best it can be rite now with the dark room. Maybe one day, I won't be so jealous of Boo, but I dunno. I am purrty stubern.

Abby

 
At December 14, 2006 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are sorry to hear that you have things that make you hurt - our dad has the back thing, and our mom had a hysterectomy, so she knows 'bout the money paws . . .

What people needs to understand is that sleepin' kitties have ther-a-pootic effects. Seriously, we're doin' it for you, tryin' our best to make ya feel better! Hope tonite is easier for you!

(from Buzzerbee & meep)

 
At December 14, 2006 5:17 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

I don't sit on mum while she sleeps just nearby. But if she moves, I don't like being disturbed, so I just jump off the bed and go sleep somewhere quiet.

Mum thankfully doesn't have all those issue like your mum.

 
At December 14, 2006 5:26 PM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

Mrs Crew's Mommy: Our mommy says this: "I feel for you - I can never move at night, even now that I'm down to 2 kitties. One has to sleep on the left on top of the covers and and the other on the right on top of the covers, pinning me down. I also cannot throw them out because of the Meezer Yowling competition they get into when the door is closed". We say the following: Keep it up Crew, but gif your mom a little room to move and she won't scream.

 
At December 14, 2006 7:58 PM, Blogger Ivan from WMD said...

Well, personally, I don't see any problem at all. But my mom says she empathizes with your mom completely and knows all about trying to herd four cats out of the bedroom. She also yells and kicks her feet at us when we're sleeping all peacefully! Which is why we don't get to sleep with her at night either except for unusual circumstances. Do you think our moms are related?

 
At December 14, 2006 10:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Our Human sympathizes/empathizes (whatever)with your mom. She can't stand to be pinned down either (although she does not have any good reason) so we're always getting kicked out of bed. So we started sleeping "in the middle" after everyone else is asleep and now they're both complaining cause their butts get cold cause we have all the blankets. How is a kitty supposed to get a good night's sleep?

 
At December 14, 2006 11:04 PM, Blogger Tiger Lily said...

We're so sorry you have those awful bean problems. My Mom had a hysterectomy and she says she has hot flashes even though I never see any light shooting out of her mouth.

I have to share the bed with 2 woofies and my big sister Jemima but Mom and Daddy don't complain much. They bought an oversized queen bed so they would have some room for themselves.

 
At December 14, 2006 11:50 PM, Blogger Max said...

Ohhhhh...the Woman has Fibromyalgia and a really bad back, too, and I've learned where to not sleep on the bed if I deign to allow her to share bedspace with me.

Kitties....know this...most places on a person with FMS hurt lots, so avoid them all. If you MUST step on the person, step on their nipples. They really like this. Trust me.

 
At December 15, 2006 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like your mom had a rough night.
It's hard to sleep when your in pain.
Ariel crys outside the door of my bedroom everytime I'm sick.

 
At December 15, 2006 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your poor mom! hurting izzn't any fun. it's furry nice of all of you to try to keep her warm though.

 
At December 17, 2006 2:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are sorry that your Mum is in pain.
Our Dad used to moan that he had no room in the bed at night because of us but none of us took any notice so he gave up moaning and bought us a new king sized bed so we have lots of room now.

 
At December 17, 2006 12:54 PM, Blogger Victor Tabbycat said...

Oh, yur poor mom. Bonnie won't sleep on the big bed wif me there, but I's pretty good at pinnin Mom's legs. She pushes me round, but cats are like jello an just flow an reshape themselves. Her firstest cat weighed 17 pounds an she couldn't move him unless she gave him a BIG shove.

Bonnie says we'd bof leaf fur treats... an if the door shut us out, we'd probly cry or rattle it, but at least we'd leaf the room. But Mom would nefur do that to us, would she? Mom? Oh oh.

 
At December 17, 2006 1:00 PM, Blogger Bonnie Underfoot said...

Before Victor took ofur, I slept on Mom's feet efurry nite, but the way I see it, my man is more trouble than me (or Victor). He rolls himself in the blankets, pullin them offa my woman. I was keepin her warm an helpen her keep her share of the blankets. I mean, if she froze to death, who would I order to feed me, treat me, an clean my litter box?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails