Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Gracie

GEORGE

I've decided that I should start the new year by talking about my littermate sister, Gracie, who went to the Rainbow Bridge place on June 1, 2003. She was a good sister and we were together every day from the day we were born at the shelter on July 10, 1997. Then we were adopted together when Dad picked her and Mom picked me. Here is a picture of Gracie.

We got our names because Mom & Dad tried to think of famous men/women pairs. So, Sonny & Cher (no), Anthony & Cleopatra (no), Ricky & Lucy (well, maybe), Fred & Wilma (no), George & Gracie (YES!). I think they picked good names for us. George is a manly name and Gracie's name fit her perfectly.
You can see she was very beautiful.

One day after Mom and Dad had been outside, when they came in, Mom went to the kitchen to start cooking. Gracie was on Dad's place on the couch and he said "Gracie move over, Daddy wants to sit down". She looked like she was sleeping, but she was dead! Mom tried to make her breath again, but it didn't work. It was a terrible shock because she had not ever been sick. Our V.E.T. said it was probably her heart, but she was my sister and I know she had a good heart.

Mom cried and cried. Dad cried and cried. I missed her very much and looked all over the house, but she was gone.
I cried and cried every night for weeks looking for her and it was a terrible time for us all. I cried so much that Mom worried about me and after a while they decided to get Tipper for me because I was so lonely. Sometimes I look at the pictures Mom has of Gracie and think about when we were young.


15 Comments:

At January 03, 2006 3:06 PM, Blogger Edsel/The Pooch said...

oh my gosh, how very sad. i lost a sister in 2004 (adopted sister) and it made me real sad too, i didn't know where she'd gone. she was 19.

 
At January 03, 2006 4:13 PM, Blogger Mommunist said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :(

 
At January 03, 2006 5:07 PM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

Gracie looks so very beautiful. Thank you for sharing her story.

I've read that sometimes a loss of a fellow pet is even more traumatic for the surviving pet than it is for the humans in the household. It sounds like you have very good and fond memories. Hold on to them tight!

 
At January 03, 2006 6:03 PM, Blogger Shaggy and Scout said...

Such a sad story to start the new year. Thank you for sharing it. We kitties (and all animals) are more intuitive than the people give us credit for. If she looked like she was sleeping, that means that she went peacefully.

 
At January 03, 2006 6:48 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

Mum says she liked to watch the original George & Gracie when she was a little girl. So she said you musta been a good pair.

Plus that you two mirror the original George and Gracie. Gracie died early from a heart problem. George lived to be 100. Do you think you can make it to 100?

 
At January 03, 2006 7:31 PM, Blogger Big Piney Woods Cats said...

This was a furry sweet, sad sad story and we want to thank you for sharing it with us. Mom gets water running out of her eyes when she reads these things and is happy every day for us kits.

 
At January 03, 2006 8:00 PM, Blogger Max said...

Gracie looks a lot like the Cat Who Came Before Me. She had a heart problem, too...evidently lots of kitties who look like them have heart problems.

My People *still* miss her (her name was Dusty) and they keep a picture of her and the my dog that went tp the Rainbow Bridge a couple years ago in the living room so that we can always see them.

Gracie (just like Dusty!) sure was a pretty cat.

 
At January 04, 2006 5:30 AM, Blogger Spock said...

AAAWWW, I'm so sorry for you!

 
At January 04, 2006 7:49 AM, Blogger The Crew said...

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

And to the Cowboy, know that there are many others who share what you're feeling right now, but that time does heal and you'll know when you're ready to love another.

 
At January 04, 2006 11:37 AM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

Thanks, George, Tipper and Max. This is a first-time experience for me. As a child, our dogs always seemed to "run away" at some point. But I do remember when my mom's dog Queenie died. It was very sad.

I look forward to the healing.

 
At January 04, 2006 9:37 PM, Blogger Ivan from WMD said...

Aw, George. The same thing happened to my bro Eddie when he was little and his sister Cowbell died (she was 18-1/2). Mom said he never talked much before that but cried and cried and cried too looking for her. Me, I've never been alone, so I can only imagine how sad that must have been for him--and you, too, when Gracie went.

 
At January 07, 2006 12:38 AM, Blogger Magoo, Smudge, Bella & Dolce said...

My heart breaks a little more each time I hear of one more beloved pet leaving us for the Rainbow Bridge. It reminds me all to painfully that our time with those we love is far too short and our time to remember them is far to long.

 
At January 08, 2006 9:03 PM, Blogger lambj said...

George, thank you for sharing your story of Gracie. We've had two cats before Bonnie and Victor, and it was hard to say good bye. At least she didn't suffer and always knew she was well loved. We should all be so lucky. Chin rubs to you.

 
At May 26, 2008 2:10 PM, Blogger Jans Funny Farm said...

A few years ago Jan had a similar experience with her Grayce. She was just leaving for a Christmas party, but how do you party when you've just lost one you love?

We know you haven't forgotten your Gracie. She will always be in your hearts.

 
At November 07, 2008 10:56 AM, Blogger Everycat said...

Thank you for sharing the story of Gracie. She was such a pretty girl. The shock of losing a much loved friend and sister is awful. May you remember her and smile.

*rumbly purrs*

Whicky Wuudler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails