Friday, January 20, 2006

No Way, Puppies!

GEORGE

Mom says she's always wanted a German Shepherd dog. Here is a picture of one. Even years ago when she got her Irish Setter Kelly, she really wanted a German Shepherd, but couldn't find one.

Now, my faithful readers already know my feelings about dogs. Of course I must admit, my only personal experience with them has been with my Sister B's dogs, Daisy & Shasta and might be considered limited involvement and contact with the canine species. And I know there are other cats out there who actually like dogs, have good experiences with them and peacefully share a home with them. (Like Tipper who, for some reason I don't get, doesn't seem to mind when B's dogs visit.) And I must acknowledge that some dogs do serve humans well with important jobs - like military, police, guard and rescue dogs and dogs that help the handicapped people. As long as they aren't in my house, I'm OK with all these dogs.

But now to get to my point. Recently there's been a lot of talk around here about getting a German Shepherd puppy who, of course, would live here permanently. As senior cat, this is where I need to put my paw down and say I will NOT allow this to happen. This is MY house and I have spent years getting it set up exactly the way I want it and then training Tipper & Max. I would sooner train an entire litter of kittens than one dog. I'll be 9 this year and will probably start thinking about retiring soon and letting the younger generation take over the running of our household. I think Tipper & Max are almost ready to assume this responsibility.

The Crew has discussed this "getting a puppy" idea at some length, and we all agree it's a bad idea for a dog to live here. We would consider a kitten, or maybe 2, but our vote is no, No, NO for a puppy. I've also discussed this privately with Dad and he agrees with me. There are advantages to being "Daddy's Boy" since I have his ear for important family matters and discussions of a manly nature.

So Mom, sorry but you're outnumbered. The vote is 4 to 1 against a puppy. Actually, since we would be the ones at home with it all day, Crew's votes should be weighted to count extra so it really works out to be 7 to 1 against.

I expect now that I've expressed our views, this subject will be closed - permanently. Forever & ever. Once and for all - and will not be revisited again! Are you listening to me, Mom?

MOM

Yes, Georgie, I hear you.

GEORGE

Well?

MOM

I'll take it under advisement.

16 Comments:

At January 20, 2006 1:24 PM, Blogger Shaggy and Scout said...

So your mom swings both ways does she? Well, if your worst nightmare comes true, just be sure to establish the upper hand with the little yapper right away. The dog MUST know whos boss.

 
At January 20, 2006 1:33 PM, Blogger Big Piney Woods Cats said...

I would not permit a dog in my house, I would scratch, bite, go into attack mode.

 
At January 20, 2006 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I concur, a dog is just a horrible idea. However, that said, if your mom has her heart set on one - get your paw ready for some swingin' - because you should indeed follow Patches' advice - swing hard, swing often! Teach that pup who's boss! I had to do this myself, when one of the little furballs came into my house in June. Fortunately, my boy was horribly allergic (and so was Mom), so a new home was procured for him. I had a couple of days relief... and then they brought home TWO KITTENS!

Keep me posted. I will offer tips as necessary...

~ Turtle

 
At January 20, 2006 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an adorable blog! I also have cats for children! I love it!

 
At January 20, 2006 2:33 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

George and Mom,

NO DOGS. Not now, not every, NEVER. Cleaning a litter box or three is one thing. With a dog, you gotta pickup up after them in the whole dang yard. I sit in my window and watch the neighbor dog mom do this every week. They have two doggies, both labs. Noisy and stinky.

They bark at mum for no reason, too.

 
At January 20, 2006 4:42 PM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

We agree wif efurryone. NO DOGS. EVER.

 
At January 20, 2006 5:18 PM, Blogger Badness said...

You must stop this madness now!!! NO DOGS!

 
At January 20, 2006 5:35 PM, Blogger Chatham said...

When I was ten, my People brought home my brother. It was awful - I was too old to be expected to tolerate a youngster like that! NO DOGS!

However, I have been told this tale: when my Cat Couch was young, their cat was a grey tuxedo cat named Boots. When they got a beagle puppy, Boots was okay with it (how strange!). Snoopy was young enough to impress on Boots. I'm told Snoopy stalked with his belly low in a very feline manner. I wish I could have seen that.

 
At January 20, 2006 7:54 PM, Blogger Max said...

Oh man I hope my People don't get any ideas...I had one dog, that was enough.

 
At January 20, 2006 8:05 PM, Blogger Edsel/The Pooch said...

maybe a tiny dog, but a German Shepard, are they nuts???

 
At January 21, 2006 5:49 AM, Blogger Spock said...

Lets all go on strike.....No dogs....no dogs....no dogs....no dogs & no snuggling until your Mom changes her mind!

 
At January 21, 2006 4:07 PM, Blogger Victor Tabbycat said...

I don't know... I might have purrfured a dog to stoopid Victor. I don't like people who smell like other cats, but dog smell is ok. Just DON'T TELL MOM - there's already one too many animals here.

 
At January 21, 2006 4:09 PM, Blogger Victor Tabbycat said...

I see people outside walking around with doggies at all hours. And after they go, the people are sposed to pick it up. Ewwww! Scooping the litterbox is nothing in comparison.

 
At January 22, 2006 1:14 AM, Blogger Boni said...

Oh no, dogs in the house are not good. Unless it's somewhere cats don't live, of course. We had some smelly dogs visit. Mom about pulled her hair out. She said they were way too much trouble and loud and smelly. If Mom could smell them, you know it was bad. I stayed upstairs while they were here. I couldn't stand the smell and the noise and... ick. I hope your Mom listens to you!

 
At January 22, 2006 5:14 PM, Blogger Amy in NC said...

No dogs!! Our Mum wants a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. We told her she can get a calendar with the doggies on it.

Firenze

 
At January 22, 2006 9:17 PM, Blogger TheTart said...

Me thinks that you might be better with anther KITTY!

I say yes...another kitty.

Smooch,
The Tart

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails