Tuesday, April 04, 2006

My Art - Water & Towel

GEORGE

Today I will begin a 4 part discussion of my art. Probably most of you don't know that I'm an accomplished artist, like my Brother J. You know, sometimes artistic talent does run in families. Mom's mother was artistic too, but the talent skipped a generation! Although, I should mention, my Uncle R (my cousin, Boo Boo Kitty, lives at his house) is a talented musician, so maybe it just skipped poor Mom.

Brother J works mainly in oils and photography. His girlfriend, R, is also an artist and she works in graphics and was recently accepted at graduate school.

I usually work in these mediums
  • Water & towel art - involving the water bowl or other water source
  • Petal art - really called potpurri, but Dad & I call it petals
  • Food art - self explanatory
  • Furniture art - involving upholstered furniture & our cat perch
At a very young age I started my artistic endeavors in water bowl art and a lot of you probably do this, too. This was when Crew had just a regular bowl, not the water cooler we have now. I began by dipping and flinging, then progressed to dragging the bowl and spilling large amounts of water making nice patterns. Mom doesn't appreciate my art, so she put a placemat under the bowl to try and stop the dragging.

Ha!! As if that could stifle my creativity. I just dragged the bowl right off the placemat. Then she tried a folded kitchen towel under the bowl, which absorbed a lot of my art but didn't prevent me from dragging the bowl. Then she tried a food & water bowl in a stand, on a towel, which I still managed to conquer. Obviously Mom doesn't know how determined I am!

After a while, when she got tired of finding my water & towel art all over the kitchen, she went out and bought the water cooler and feeder we have now. It holds a gallon of water and it's on a placemat with a raised edge so I can't drag it off. Score 1 for Mom.

My student, Max, is progressing nicely on his bathroom art. Very nice patterns on the mirror using the dip & fling method, Max. And I see recently you've progressed to toilet paper art. Well done!

MAX

Thank you. I studied at the feet of The Master.

GEORGE

On a future blog, I'll discuss my 3 other types of art and show you pictures. To open this topic, I suggest all you artists out there think about pieces you've done that you might want to show and talk about.

9 Comments:

At April 05, 2006 7:32 AM, Blogger Kukka-Maria said...

My auntie and uncle built a rustic, but effective "spill proof" bowl holder when their cat, Zig, would try to do her water art.
They hammered 4 large nails into a piece of wood that nested the water bowl and prevented it from moving.

I think they were just jealous that Zig had talent they did not...

 
At April 05, 2006 9:56 AM, Blogger The Crew said...

Yes, Kukka...our true talents are generally unappreciated by humans.

George

 
At April 05, 2006 5:41 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

Pictures of your art please. Mum likes art.

 
At April 05, 2006 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dumb sister Lizzie thinks she's an artist too. I can't figure her out, she's just in her own world sometimes. I'm more down to earth -- give me good food, a soft place to sleep, and a tummy rub from my human, and I'm a most happy fella...

 
At April 05, 2006 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you persisted in your art despite human attempts at repressing it. That often happens to the greats!

 
At April 06, 2006 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, so THAT'S what Moose is doing -- water art! I thought he was just being a royal pain! (Tell me more about this water cooler... he's driving me crazy with that bowl, and Nala is starting to pick up the idea, too...
~ tammara

 
At April 06, 2006 12:41 PM, Blogger Chatham said...

Yes, pictures!!

My Cat Couch must like water art, too. She leaves some art around my bowls most mornings.

 
At April 07, 2006 4:18 AM, Blogger Judith said...

Velvet practices his water art with the pond. He seems to forget it's wet, so he dips his paw in just to check. And then decides to play with the floating green stuff too!

Or he sits on the edge and dangles his tail in, and then gets cross cos it's wet. I'll try to get some pics!

 
At April 07, 2006 7:24 AM, Blogger The Crew said...

Les Trois Chats - Go to our archives to the posting on Dec 19 to see a picture of our food & water containers. You can get these at any large pet supply store.

Derby & ChatCat - It's hard to get a picture of my water art since Mom wipes it up immediately. Great artists are never appreciated in their own time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails