Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Meet the New Baby

TIPPER

I got a baby sister!!! Isn't she cute? Hey, wait...is she cuter than me?

MOM

You were cute when you were a baby...now you're beautiful.

TIPPER

Oh, ok....as long as she's not cuter than me.

Anyway, here is our new Crew member. She's 8 weeks old and will be named Misty. She was adopted from the same shelter as my brother Max and our friend Derby came from. Now we all have to get used to having a baby in the house so, Mom, please hide my red & white octopus. She can play with the green & yellow one.

Misty is a grey & white bi-color and wears a tuxedo dress, like me, so George will be adding her to his group, Coats of Many Colors and I'll talk to her about joining the Tuxedo Gang, too.

I think she should have been named Everpurr 'cause she never stops purring, and Mom says that's the reason she picked Misty. She purred the second Mom touched her! Maybe I'll make Everpurr her middle name. What do you think?

MOM

I'm taking over the blog for a minute to tell you all about Misty. We adopted her a week ago and she was playful & friendly. We kept her away from The Crew making slow introductions, as usual when bringing in a new member, with a little hissing & growling all around. At first she seemed healthy and we were able to get a few pictures, but 4 days later she started sneezing. 2 days after that, she was running a fever and was so congested she couldn't breathe. She started salivating and panting badly so we took her to our local 24 hour emergency veterinary clinic. She has a virus that's very common but also very contagious for cats, and has developed a secondary bacterial infection. So she now gets antibiotics twice a day and has had 2 shots to re-hydrate her. She's not eating, so today I'm calling to see if there's some kind of appetite stimulant that's safe for a sick kitten.

Our regular vet also said to put our 3 resident cats on Lysine which helps their immune system fight off any infections so they're each getting pills twice a day. Tipper was sneezing for 1 day so she also went in for a checkup of lungs & temperature. So far so good, but I'm watching all 3 very closely. They seem OK and are eating and interacting with the family as usual. But if they show any signs of illness, they'll be on antibiotics too.

But poor little Misty....none of this is her fault. We have the option of returning her back to the shelter but my husband and I are already attached to her plus I know what would happen to her if we give her back. So far this has cost us

1. Adoption fee $ 110 (included first kitten shots & spaying)
2. Emergency vet - $135
3. Regular vet for Tipper & Misty - $95

For $340 we could have bought a purebred, and I'm not sure we're done with vet bills yet! But I know every one of you would have done the same thing. We all have a weakness for cats and don't treat them as disposable when they're too expensive or cause too much trouble.

Misty has been living in the bathroom until we're sure she's well. Her fever has broken and she seems more lively, purring when picked up and held, but not eating. I'll keep you posted on her progress.

23 Comments:

At June 20, 2006 8:26 AM, Blogger Gemini said...

Poor baby cat. She is furry cute and we hopes she does better.

Momma said the not eating worries her but there are things that can be done.

 
At June 20, 2006 9:31 AM, Blogger nemokitty said...

Hope you get well soon, Misty. It'll be nice to have another kitty my age to play with (I'm 9 weeks old). My momma said she had a-cat-way-before-me and her name was Misty, too and she lived a longed longed time, so you will too cuz you have the same name!

 
At June 20, 2006 10:10 AM, Blogger Hot(M)BC said...

Aw, poor Misty. I hope you feels better real quick, then you can play lots!

Mommy says that chicken babyfood that's warmed just a lil bit in the microwave will get lotsa kitties to eat when they don think they have any appetite. She says to make sure to get the kind without any onion powder or garlic tho, cuz they're bad for kitties. She said when she had a baby kitty with the same problem long long time ago that's what the vet made her give him. So maybe Misty will like it too.

~~ Sanjee (and gang)

 
At June 20, 2006 10:12 AM, Blogger Quinn and Angel brandi said...

Speaking as a grey and white, you are one of the sweet ones, young lady. And get well soon so we can all get to know you!

When my mama picks me up and cuddles me, I purr too. She fell in love with my purr first thing when she gotted me!

Stay sweet and please eat. Maybe baby food???

 
At June 20, 2006 1:32 PM, Blogger Smeagol and Strider, Mystery (Sunnin' at the Bridge) and Gizmo too! said...

Awww, poor sweet baby. We hopes you're feelin' better soon!

 
At June 20, 2006 2:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Misty - welcome to the blogspheare. Hope you get to feeling better soon. You ended up with good people and we know that, giving a chance, you'll give 'em "good" back -- Alberta, Sky, Blackie and Charlie

 
At June 20, 2006 2:35 PM, Blogger Quilt Granny said...

Wow, are you my little sister? You look just like me when I was a baby. You are too cute. I sure hope you're feeling better really soon and don't have to go to the VET again. I think you're really gonna like living with your peeps and all the others.

 
At June 20, 2006 3:51 PM, Blogger Lone Star Purrs said...

Hope you feel all the way soon sweetie! Enjoy your new fur-ever home!

 
At June 20, 2006 5:21 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

Wow, its a mini-Tipper. She looks very purrty and I hopes she gets to feeling 100% real soon. Will be nice to hear about your adventures as part of The Crew.

 
At June 20, 2006 6:57 PM, Blogger KXBC said...

Wow!!! Misty is so furry and cute. She will be a beautiful grown up cat in no time, just like Tipper (hehe, I have this weakness for girl cats).

Don't worry too much about her illness. She'll get better soon with the medication. Cats of the stray lineage are very hardy and resilient.

Ask the vet if you can buy Science Diet AD wet food for little Misty. It is specially formulated for cats who needs additional nutrients after surgery/illness. Very digestible. It did very well for my Chang Chang when he was a sickly little kitten. But make sure she does not get addicted though. It's very tasty. You can follow this link for more info.

http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/products/product_details.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441760567&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302024497&bmUID=1150854765220

 
At June 21, 2006 6:04 AM, Blogger Zeus said...

I think you have done a wonderful thing, Crew Mom. There's no doubt that deep inside, little Misty appreciates and adores your efforts. She'll pull through this as little kitties are very resilient. I will keep you in my thoughts, and I hope that she eats something soon.

-Marina, Zeus and Isis' mom

 
At June 21, 2006 9:38 AM, Blogger twiga92 said...

Oh, here's hoping all is well soon with Misty. We would do the same thing. Our cats bring us so much joy, they are definitely worth the cost and energy.
-Storm and Mocha's Mom

 
At June 21, 2006 10:30 AM, Blogger Victor Tabbycat said...

Trouble-maker. I keep tryin to tell the beans, new cats are nothin but trouble. George, Max, Tipper, make sure you let that new-sence know who's in charge cuz she's stayin, no matter what you say.

 
At June 21, 2006 10:31 AM, Blogger Victor Tabbycat said...

Awwwwwwwwww, what a cutie! Mom? Come see the new baby. Can we gets one?
Wul then, can we replace Bonnie?

 
At June 21, 2006 11:52 AM, Blogger Sonia said...

She's beautiful! Nothin' like a baby kitty. Hope she and the gan heal quickly!

 
At June 21, 2006 11:52 AM, Blogger Fat Eric said...

Awwww, Misty is cute! All these new kittens in the blogosphere are making my mum broody. She only needs ME!! Hope Misty gets better soon. Must be a nightmare medicating four cats at the same time, it was stressful enough in our house when only ONE cat needed to be given pills!

 
At June 21, 2006 6:37 PM, Blogger Tiff said...

Awww...she is so super cute.
I hope she feels 100% soon...I will keep her in my thoughts. Please keep us posted.

 
At June 21, 2006 11:45 PM, Blogger The Fluffy Tribe said...

But you gave a homeless kitty a wonderful home. Welcome Misty ~PM Jane

Hi Misty, welcome to the poodie blog world ~Merlin, Shadow, Ko KO


Aren't you kinda small for a cat? ~Poiland Rodentia

Welcome Misty ~Rabbie Burns

 
At June 22, 2006 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor poor little baby. She's just a precious little one. I love kittens. I just love them. I even loved Moose when he first came! I hope she gets better.

I got sick right after mom brought me home. And Moose and Nala got sick right after they went to the vet to get F-I-X-E-D. That contagious stuff is rotten. We're all pulling for her.

~ turtle

 
At June 22, 2006 11:29 AM, Blogger Ayla said...

I was very sick when the Mom first got me. I had a really bad upper respiratory infection and a virus and the vet said that the Mom shouldn't keep her hopes up. What was worse is that the Mom was a poor college student at the time too. Even still, she nursed me every day and made sure I got better. It's been almost sixteen years since then and I know that she's glad she made the effort back then.

P.S. There's something called NutraPaste or NutraMalt that the Mom gave me to help stimulate my appetite. Then she started me with baby food (the meat type of course). Hope the little one gets better soon.

 
At June 22, 2006 12:12 PM, Blogger Twizzler, Jack, Fwankwin, and Gracie said...

Your people are doin' a wonderful thing! Misty looks like an adorable little girl. Hoping she gets better very soon & that efurryone in the house is feelin' good!

 
At June 26, 2006 11:36 AM, Blogger Kukka-Maria said...

How did I miss the new arrival announcement! Sounds like Misty has had a tough time so far. I'm going to read the update and comment more there.

By the way, how cute is she?!

 
At June 27, 2006 6:43 AM, Blogger Ivan from WMD said...

Holy mackerel, I missed all this with our stupid new computer! First of all, congrats on the new sister. She's a little doll! Tipper, you're so lucky! Second, the same thing happened with both my sisters (getting sick). Luckily no one got sick when Caroline came to live with us, but poor Eddie got sick when Olivia came. Mom was very worried about him, too, because his little nose was so crusted up he couldn't breathe for eons! And since he couldn't smell, he wouldn't eat! Mom said he was sick about the same amount of time that humans are when they get bad colds.

Anyway, everybody got better except the Cat Trust Fund--with both sisters having gone into the cat fix-it place for days, it cost about 333 and 300 cat toys, respectively. That is a whole lot of toys! But like your mom said, we know what would have happened if our mom hadn't done this. I wouldn't have my playmates!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails