Wednesday, August 23, 2006

My Art - Furniture

GEORGE

This is the final posting in my series about my art. For those of you that missed the first 3 parts you can find them here.

My Art - Water & Towel
My Art - Petals
My Art - Food

Furniture art is probably the most complicated and least understood art form we cats create. Neither Mom or Dad has any appreciation for it. You declawed cats might have a hard time with this art form unless you use your teeth, which is prefectly OK and can create interesting patterns.

Also, this type of art can't be created in one sitting. It takes time and several visits to the same location before the right look can be achieved, so be prepared to devote a lot of time to just one project. Of course, you can work on smaller projects in other mediums and come back to your large piece when you feel inspired!

First you need to find a nicely upholstered chair or couch, preferably a newer one. Slipcovered pieces work too, but you need to understand you can't create a permanent piece of art on a slipcover. Some cat artists have used drapes or curtains with very good results. It's really up to the personal taste of the artist.

Choose the area of the furniture that faces into the room so everyone can see your work as soon as they enter the room. Also, choose an area that can't be covered up by an afghan or pillow. Then get to work and create to your hearts content. Even though I would consider this piece finished, Tipper & Max have occasionally added to it and then Mom shouts "Tipper, claws!" or "Max, claws!". When you're working on your art, if you hear a shriek from your Mom, you'll know you've produced a wonderful piece. Then Mom says "This is why we don't have anything nice around here." Well, I disagree. I think my art is nice!

Cat perches are a good training tools for would-be furniture artists. Some have rope that you can shred and carpeted shelves you can pull apart. My sister Gracie (who is at the Rainbow Bridge now) & I spent 6 years working on our old cat perch. Tipper & Max added their personal touches over the next 3 years to create a real masterpiece. Mom tried to trim it back once in a while and it could use a good trim now, as you can see. No one gets to see it any more because it was moved to the basement when we got our new perch. So now all of us, including Misty, are collaborating on a project for the new perch.

I hope you've enjoyed my series about cat art and that it inspires you all to create some beautiful, but probably unappreciated, pieces for your homes.

14 Comments:

At August 23, 2006 9:06 AM, Blogger Gemini said...

I am working on some art. Chey isn't very artistic with furniture, but I am. Georgia also isn't that artistic. They like the carpet on the floor better.

 
At August 23, 2006 10:40 AM, Blogger Kukka-Maria said...

Wow! I think The Crew is my new muse! I am so inspired to shred...I mean "create art" on my mom's new, red, microfibre couch!

She says she appreciates art...let's put that to the test!

Nice tutorial, George!

 
At August 23, 2006 12:25 PM, Blogger DS said...

Great! I'll put a link to your post at my furniture blog.

 
At August 23, 2006 1:12 PM, Blogger Madness, Trouble, Squish and Milkbone said...

Wow George, you are a true artist. Bubbles has been working on several highly visbile pieces in our living room. You would be very proud of him if you could see his pawdy-work.

 
At August 23, 2006 1:23 PM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

George, you are truly talented. We has been werking on furniture art for a while, but it doesn't look as good as yours.

 
At August 23, 2006 2:48 PM, Blogger Rosie & Cheeto said...

Our furniture art luks nothing like yers. Have yoo evur thought of taking it on the road? I'm not sure what that means but we here our lady say it to talented peeple.

 
At August 23, 2006 2:49 PM, Blogger Zeus said...

George, your artistic work has always inspired me, but these tutorials have really aided me in coming into my own development as a budding artist. I hope someday I can achieve the drama, emotion, and perspective that you have with your own pieces.

On a side note, I did tag you and your fellow Crew members for a fun little game. To find out how to play, click here!

 
At August 23, 2006 4:55 PM, Blogger Tommy and Teaghan said...

Gasp! We don't have any art like that at home. Yur certinly inspirin' us to take anofur look at the materials waitin' in our rooms at home.

 
At August 23, 2006 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we haf a sit-you-a-shun at our house an maybe you could help wif it. our Lady HATES the couch an finks it's the ugliest thing effur, but there's nuffin wrong wif it 'cept that it's ugly an she won't get rid of anyfing that's still useful an isn't broken. she's ack-shully encouraged us to try a little furniture art on the ugly thing, but we prefers ta shred our own stuff. maybe we could hire you to create a masterpiece?

 
At August 23, 2006 7:07 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

Being clawless, I can't creat anything like this.

 
At August 23, 2006 7:45 PM, Blogger Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Nice work! Your cat perch looks a lot like ours. Mom hates the fibers that hang down cuz Mittens is always chewing on them, so Momma has to scissor them. She is talking sisel....she says it is rope and would hold up better, I think not!!!

 
At August 24, 2006 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the artwork. By the way your photos got added to the video. Alas it came on Wednesday so they are already the second post because of Thursday Thirteen. Still, a lovely shot of the helping human hand!

 
At August 24, 2006 7:20 PM, Blogger Victor Tabbycat said...

George, Bonnie an I hafn't had much chance to do furniture art yet, but Mom's first cat spent his 15 years workin on a large orange couch (he went to the bridge in 1987; orange was "in"). Beside clawing the sides, he also spent so much time sleepin on one arm (unner the lamp), it was worn and showed his efforts, too. He definitely left his mark on that couch.

 
At March 29, 2007 7:36 AM, Blogger Parker said...

Wow - it's like being at our house! I'll have to get Mommy to post some of our "artwork!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails